Thursday, March 17, 2016

If you're ever feeling alone, read this.

There is a patient I have been working with for a few months now. He was part of our Veterans program and came to my office struggling with PTSD. He's been aggressively working towards
healing and has come a long way. Last week, we had our last visit before he moves to California to start his new life.  On that day, he announced that he had something special for me. He presented me with his olive green t-shirt and sweatshirt he was issued when he first enlisted in the marines. He explained that those two articles of clothing had traveled around the world with him, to the tops of mountains, to war... and gotten him through some really tough days. He knows I am training for my second Ironman and explained that there's got to be days when I just don't have it in me to train. He wanted to give me those prized possessions to help get me through those days and to thank me for the work we had done.

I was touched.

We hugged and said goodbye. I told him to make sure to check in with us from time to time. And then I started thinking...

I am so lucky to have the people in my life that I do. My family, my patients, my friends... Even the strangers I encounter... It's like this beautifully curated garden of people that God has placed in my path... And I wouldn't be who I am without them. As I thought about this beautiful mosaic of faces in my life, I was not only overwhelmed with gratitude but overcome with the feeling that every step of my life, I have been lead where I needed to go. Angels seem to be strategically placed around every corner, especially at the times we need them most.

I encourage you to try this exercise... Be mindful of everyone you encounter this week, how they came into your life, and the gifts they have given you. You might even want to think about the dark moments in your past and see who was placed in your life at the time who helped you through. Let me know what you discover in the comments below.

No comments: