Friday, May 9, 2014

Half-Ironman Training Update

As promised, an update for those who are interested in following my progress.

For those of you who are not aware, I have decided to raise money for the O.N.E. Foundation by doing my first half-ironman this coming September.

I've been officially training for about a month and a half so far. Currently, I devote about 10-12 hours per week to training... Hour-long swims in the pool, bike rides on my trainer (which for those who don't know, makes your regular bike into a stationary bike... This allows me to ride in all sorts of weather and adjust to the seat and design of the bike I will use for race day... Let me know if you'd like me to post a pic and I'll make it happen), and runs (outside as much as possible!).  There have been many moments when I thought to myself, "What the $&@! we're you thinking??" and "What have I gotten myself into?" But as the training progresses and I get my mind and body used to the idea more and more, it's starting not to seem so overwhelming. I even noticed I shaved 7 seconds off my 50yd lap this week and that was awfully encouraging. For those of you who don't know me, being athletic was never something I considered for myself. One of my swimming partners compared us to turtles in peanut butter and even now, I joke that I Tri because "why suck at one sport when you can suck at three!"

All jokes aside, I want to express my appreciation to those who have donated so far... I'm almost at 10% of my goal and I still have 4 months left! Who knows, maybe I'll even exceed my goal! I can't think of an organization that could better use the funds than the O.N.E. Foundation... And I admit, during my monotonous laps in the pool, I think of my gratitude for all those who have contributed, and all those who have benefited and will benefit... All the lives that will be changed for the better thanks to the research funded by your donations...

So THANK YOU for helping to make the world a happier, healthier place.

Til the next update...

No comments: