Saturday, May 11, 2013

Are you down and out? Or launching into greatness?

As I wind down from a wonderful day of  seeing a select group of magnificent people leave layers of pain behind them, I have to share this brief  "Aha!" moment I had.

At the end of the day, Kitty Ghen, our guest NET practitioner, and I sat down to clear some NECs before she got on the road.  My NEC that surfaced was one relating to a very dark moment I had in chiropractic school.

As one who rarely cried in front of ANYONE, I found myself crying to my parents on the phone.  Sobbing, actually.

"That's it. I'm dropping out. I just can't do this anymore! I don't have what it takes! I just want to die!"  And though these may sound like the words of a bratty, melodramatic teenager, I meant them with every cell of my being.

I was in my second trimester of Chiro school and the stress was getting to me. Despite being an honor student with a science major in college, I was doubting my intelligence, horribly depressed, and overburdened by the stress of finals and the 28 credit course load. Between 8 straight hours of Neuroanatomy, Neurology, Cadaveric Anatomy, Microbiology, Histology, etc. every day, my commitments to student government, my work study position, and the long, dark, bitter cold winter of the Finger Lakes Region of New York, I just couldn't pull myself out of my funk.  As I released that NEC today, though, I was laughing through my tears.

I realized that it was that moment when I decided to seek help. It was that moment that brought me into Mark Fohs office. Mark was the only counselor to be certified in NET at the time.  The Walkers allowed him to learn the chiropractic technique only because he was working at a Chiropractic College. He was then the first counselor to get certified in NET.  That certification paved the way for thousands of counselors, acupuncturists, health coaches, ministers and more, but most significant for me is that it allowed me to not only deal with the stress of school in a revolutionary and amazingly efficient way, but changed the course of my career.

Because of that moment, I am who I am today.

The end of the quote above is, "So keep aiming, and focus."

Often our plan is not THE plan.  But we must keep aiming and stay focused. And listen to that still, small voice within.  The plan will always find you.