Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Most of what you think is a lie.

As an N.E.T. practitioner, I have to be acutely aware of the stories my patients are telling themselves.  If I get sucked into their story, I can fall victim to the same crippling beliefs that they have developed about themselves and then, instead of guiding them OUT of their negative self-talk, I might unintentionally reinforce it. 

Most of our stress comes from the stories we make up based on one or two nuggets of truth.  We take a situation, apply our own meaning to it, and before we even know what's happened, we're reacting to fiction. 

I am fascinated by these stories... When you observe two people in conflict, the drama always stems from one person's story versus the other's.  Without fail, it is not really about the people, but their STORIES.  Miscommunication occurs, stories develop, and if the voices telling the stories are screaming too loud, or their is a lack of trust in the relationship (again, another story being told) it becomes virtually impossible to resolve the conflict.

On another occasion recently, I was working with a patient, dramatizing the emotional issue that had surfaced during our session.  After we cleared the issue, she looked at me and said, "It really was pretty ridiculous wasn't it.  I can't believe I thought that."  The mind works in mysterious ways.  No need to judge it.  But I think that if we're aware of these tall tales, it can really make life a lot happier of a place. 

These stories keep us trapped where we are.  They create unnecessary drama.  They keep us from accomplishing our goals and from having the life we truly want.  They convince us that our ideal is impossible.  They cripple us.  My challenge for you this week is to become more aware of the stories you tell yourself that hold you back.  Question them.  Because if this woman can run a marathon:


Read the story here!

then there's no excuse good enough anymore...


1 comment:

The First Book of James said...

Saw that story, enjoy that album, and totally relate to your point today. Thanks! Definitely time to evaluate a legend or two holding in my own anger.