Monday, July 23, 2012

My Facebook Fast: The Home Stretch

Much has happened in the past three weeks. None of which was announced on Facebook.  

And there were some real post-worthy news gems in there, such as...  Well, it would just defeat the purpose if I told you now...

I am definitely looking forward to revisiting my account and catching up on everything that has happened on my wall since I've been gone, but honestly, I don't foresee spending anywhere near as much time on there as I used to. 

I expected to have so much more free time, but as is usually the case with time, "Nature abhors a vacuum," and I've managed to fill it quickly and seamlessly with other things.  However, I really have enjoyed the privacy, as well as eliminating those who are barely a blip on my radar.  It's comforting to know that the only people currently in my life are those that really care to be, and not those who are using my posts as material to criticize me about or poke fun at.  I guess it's good to be reminded that everything we post on the internet, benign as it may seem or be at the time, can come back to haunt us.

I am experiencing some trepidation as I linger on the edge of re-entering the world of Facebook.  Will I be able to indulge with moderation?  Or will I get drawn back into that virtual, time-sucking vortex?  You may even see me confessing my failure here next month.  I hope not, and as a safeguard, I have already put my exit plan in place.

The 28th is my re-entry day, and on that day, I will allow myself as much time as I need to catch up on all my messages and notifications from the past month.  After that, I will only be accessing Facebook at most once per week, unless I am running early for something and looking to kill time.

From this point forward, I refuse to reside in a virtual world.

See you in the real one!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Facebook has been so awesome this month. I learned a lot about myself and grew as a person through it. Wait, no I didn't. It was the same old BS day in and day out. Nice work on the fast!