Thursday, June 28, 2012

I am an addict.

There.

I said it.

Admittance is the first step to recovery, so they say, and I am a Facebook addict.

What a load off my chest!

To put it in perspective for you, friends of mine think I am on Facebook 24/7 because of how quickly I respond to their posts... And they're probably close to accurate in that assessment.  From the moment I wake up in the morning, I am checking my account.  I post so frequently, some people have admitted to blocking my posts from showing up in their feed because it was so overwhelming.  I have developed a type of celebrity... people meet me for the first time and already know who I am... because of my Facebook posts.  It really is rather ridiculous.

For those who don't understand the appeal of Facebook, I compare it to a constant party, where all your favorite people are hanging out.  You can pop in and out of the party at will, visit, get a laugh or two, say something witty, learn something new, voyeuristically get an update on your friends' lives, and then, without even a goodbye, close the door and that's the end of it... until you open the door again.  The door is always waiting there, inviting you in, and the party is always going.

For an extrovert such as myself, this provides endless hours of fun and mental stimulation.

At my seminar this week,  we were talking about distractions, information overload, and those things we should say "No" to.

I decided that it was time to say goodbye.

As my readers as my witnesses, I have decided to give up Facebook for one month.  I started today.

I posted the status, "I'm taking a break from Facebook.  If you need me, you know where to find me."  Then I deleted the application from my smartphone.

I am committed.

I was incredibly amused to learn that, supposedly, they're already taking bets on how long I'll last. Feel free to leave your prediction below. ;.)

I'm really curious to see what happens!  What in the world am I going to do with all this free time!?

Subscribe to stay updated on my progress...