Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Silly Seagulls...

Hello from Myrtle Beach!

I wish I could say I'm here purely for leisure, but I actually have a seminar to attend. However, I did come a day early to refresh before sitting in an overly air-conditioned conference room for three days.

It's amazing what happens when you give your mind a chance to slow down and reflect...

I just finished an amazing run on the beach... and as I type that, I'm struck by the irony... slowing down by going for a run...  Doesn't seem to make much sense, does it.  But exercise can be such a meditative experience; especially exercising in nature.

As I was running, I was amused by the seagulls running away from me, seemingly as if I was chasing them.  In fact, I am thoroughly convinced that those seagulls thought I was chasing them.  In reality, I was just running my predetermined path, but I can understand why it would appear to be hostile to an ignorant bird.  Then it struck me how human beings do the same thing.  How often do we run from preceived fears? React to an assumption? Take things personally that were never meant to be so?

The truth is, some folks DO chase seagulls (specifically children, but I'm sure there's some adults out there embracing their youth), just as some folks ARE out to hurt others.  But the majority of us are just out there running our predetermined path, oblivious to what those around us are thinking.

Something to think about next time you assume someone's actions are about you...

Are you being a silly seagull?