Wednesday, December 21, 2011

My Fitbit Experiment: Part 1

My Fitbit
Thanks to the suggestion of some friends, I recently purchased a Fitbit.  This intriguing little piece of technology is much more than a pedometer.  It tracks my steps, but it also tracks how many calories I'm burning, how efficiently I'm sleeping, and graphs how active I am throughout the day. 

Sleep graph example

Activity level graph example

The website (which anyone can have a free account with) has tons of tools, like a food diary, a journal to track your mood, allergies, and make notes, and logs for blood pressure, glucose, and more!  I know I sound like I've been paid by the creators of this little gem, but I assure you I have not.  I'm just so impressed by this tiny contraption!  What a great tool to get and stay motivated.  One of my favorite features is that I can compete with my friends and family for how active we are.  I'm aiming for 1st place!

Stay tuned for future experiments to see how caffeine, alcohol, activity level, and diet affect the sleep graph!

1 comment:

Laura said...

I LOVE my fitbit. I got one last spring (before they came out with the Ultra) and was motivated enough to lose about 25 lbs! I've fallen off the wagon a bit with the holidays but I still wear it all the time and plan on getting back on Track in January!

Being a stat nerd I love my graphs and data...and being Ray's daughter...once I find something "cool" to motivate me I get REALLY into it for a while...sound familiar? haha I hope you enjoy your Fitbit as much as I have loved mine! Expensive but totally worth it!